Musicianship Grade 5 Resources
Recommended recordings, suggested listening, extra reading and video links
Grade 5 of AMEB Musicianship has set works to study, and explore various aspects of music history. These include chamber music, lieder and British art song. These are some resources to help you with your study.
Resources for Musicianship Grade 5
Set Works: Recommended Recordings
- Schubert: “Frühlingstraum” from Winterreise D 911, Matthew Rose and Gary Matthewman, Stone Records, 2013
- Finzi: “O Mistress Mine” from Let Us Garlands Bring op. 18 no. 4, Bryn Terfel and Malcolm Martineau, Deutsche Grammophon, 1995
- Mozart: String Quartet No. 14 in G Major, K 387, 1st movt, The Lindsays, ASV, 1995 (this recording plays both the repeats as Mozart marked in the score)
- Chamber Music: 50 of the Best (same album as in 6th Grade), Naxos, 2011
- Dame Janet Baker: German Lieder, The Great Recordings, EMI, 2013
- The Very Best of English Song, EMI, 2012
Analysis of Set Works
- AMEB Musicianship Analytical Notes
- Ross Hamilton's Music Education Resources
- Helen Lowry Music Exam Resources
YouTube Videos: String Techniques
These videos demonstrate the various string techniques studied in Grade 5.
About Susan Deas
Susan Deas is a professional musician, lecturer and teacher. She has been teaching piano and music theory for over twenty years, and is accredited in both Piano and Musicianship. Her training includes a Bachelor of Music with a major in Performance (Piano) and Musicology, a Master of Music Studies (Studio Pedagogy), a Bachelor of Arts (Communications), and an A.Mus.A in Musicianship. Susan also lectures in music theory and music appreciation for Sydney University’s Centre for Continuing Education, WEA Sydney and at other venues. She performs professionally as a pianist and organist, as well as giving professional development workshops and lessons to private music teachers. Susan is on the Board of the Music Teachers’ Association of NSW.
Subscribe to Susan's mailing list to hear about future events for music students