Musicianship Grade 5 Resources
Recommended recordings, suggested listening, extra reading and video links
Grade 5 of AMEB Musicianship has set works to study, and explore various aspects of music history. These include chamber music, lieder and British art song. These are some resources to help you with your study.
Resources for Musicianship Grade 5
Set Works: Recommended Recordings
- Schubert: Erlkonig D 328, Ian Bostridge and Julius Drake, EMI, 2005
- Vaughan Williams: The Vagabond, from Songs of Travel, Bryn Terfel and Malcolm Martineau, Deutsche Grammophon, 1995
- Mozart: String Quintet in E Flat Major, K 614, 1st movt, Ensemble Villa Musica, MD&G Records, 2001 (this recording plays both the repeats as Mozart marked in the score)
- Chamber Music: 50 of the Best (same album as in 6th Grade), Naxos, 2011
- Dame Janet Baker: German Lieder, The Great Recordings, EMI, 2013
- The Very Best of English Song, EMI, 2012
Analysis of Set Works
YouTube Videos: String Techniques
These videos demonstrate the various string techniques studied in Grade 5.
More about Susan Deas
Susan Deas is a professional musician, lecturer and teacher. She has been teaching music appreciation courses for more than twenty years, through Sydney University's Centre for Continuing Education, WEA Sydney and at other venues. Her training includes a Bachelor of Music with a major in Performance (Piano) and Musicology, a Master of Music Studies (Studio Pedagogy), a Bachelor of Arts (Communications), and an A.Mus.A in Musicianship. Susan teaches piano and music theory to adults and children, and plays piano and organ at various venues around Sydney.