Musicianship Grade 5 Resources
Recommended recordings, suggested listening, extra reading and video links
Grade 5 of AMEB Musicianship has set works to study, and explore various aspects of music history. These include chamber music, lieder and British art song. These are some resources to help you with your study.
Resources for Musicianship Grade 5
Set Works: Recommended Recordings
- Schubert: “Frühlingstraum” from Winterreise D 911, Matthew Rose and Gary Matthewman, Stone Records, 2013
- Finzi: “O Mistress Mine” from Let Us Garlands Bring op. 18 no. 4, Bryn Terfel and Malcolm Martineau, Deutsche Grammophon, 1995
- Mozart: String Quartet No. 14 in G Major, K 387, 1st movt, The Lindsays, ASV, 1995 (this recording plays both the repeats as Mozart marked in the score)
- Chamber Music: 50 of the Best (same album as in 6th Grade), Naxos, 2011
- Dame Janet Baker: German Lieder, The Great Recordings, EMI, 2013
- The Very Best of English Song, EMI, 2012
Analysis of Set Works
YouTube Videos: String Techniques
These videos demonstrate the various string techniques studied in Grade 5.
About Susan Deas
Susan Deas is a professional musician, lecturer and teacher. She has been teaching piano for over twenty years, and her students learn both classical and contemporary styles, including playing by ear and improvisation. Susan also gives professional development workshops and lessons to private music teachers. She performs professionally as a pianist and organist, and lectures in music theory and music appreciation for Sydney University’s Centre for Continuing Education. Susan’s training includes a Bachelor of Music with a major in Performance (Piano) and Musicology, a Master of Music Studies (Studio Pedagogy), a Bachelor of Arts (Communications), and an A.Mus.A in Musicianship. Susan is an Accredited Member of the Music Teachers’ Association of NSW.
Subscribe to Susan’s mailing list to hear about future events for music students