Musicianship Grade 4 Resources
Recommended recordings, suggested listening and extra reading
Grade 4 introduces the composers Bach, Handel and Purcell, and a study of Bach's Keyboard Suites. These include chamber music, lieder and British art song. These are some resources to help you with your study.
Resources for Musicianship Grade 4
Set Works: Bach's Keyboard Suites: Recommended Recordings
- Bach: Six French Suites, Angela Hewitt, Hyperion, 1995
- Bach: Six English Suites, Angela Hewitt, Hyperion, 2003
- Bach: Six Partitas for Keyboard, Angela Hewitt, Hyperion, 1997
- The Very Best of Bach, Capella Istropolitana, Naxos, 2005
- The Best of Handel, Capella Istropolitana, Naxos, 1997
- The Classical Guide to Purcell, Chanticleer et al, Warner, 2010
Analysis of Set Works
YouTube Videos: Bach's Keyboard Suites
Listen to Andras Schiff perform Bach's French and English Suites and Partitas
More about Susan Deas
Susan Deas is a professional musician, lecturer and teacher. She has been teaching music appreciation courses for more than twenty years, through Sydney University's Centre for Continuing Education, WEA Sydney and at other venues. Her training includes a Bachelor of Music with a major in Performance (Piano) and Musicology, a Master of Music Studies (Studio Pedagogy), a Bachelor of Arts (Communications), and an A.Mus.A in Musicianship. Susan teaches piano and music theory to adults and children, and plays piano and organ at various venues around Sydney.