Musicianship Grade 6 Resources
Recommended recordings, suggested listening, extra reading and video links
Grade 6 of AMEB Musicianship has set works to study, and explore various aspects of music history. These include the piano music of Chopin, Schumann and Debussy, and chamber music for strings, piano and woodwind. These are some resources to help you with your study.
Resources for Musicianship Grade 6
Set Works: Recommended Recordings
- Brahms: Piano Quartet in C minor, Op. 60, 1st movt, Marc-Andre Hamelin & Leopold String Trio, Hyperion, 2006
- Debussy: Preludes 1-6 from Preludes, Book I: Francois-Joel Thiollier, Naxos, 1998:
- 1. Danseuses de Delphes
- 2. Voiles
- 3. Le vent dans la plaine
- 4. ‘Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l’air du soir’
- 5. Les collines d’Anacapri
- 6. Des pas sur la neige
- Chamber Music: 50 of the Best (same album as in 5th Grade), Naxos, 2011
- Schumann Piano Works, Wilhelm Kempff, Deutsche Grammophon, 2010
- Chopin: Piano Favourites, Idil Biret, Naxos, 1995
- Debussy: Piano Works, Roger Woodward, ABC, 1997
Analysis of Set Works
YouTube Videos: Woodwind Techniques
These videos demonstrate the various woodwind techniques studied in Grade 5.
More about Susan Deas
Susan Deas is a professional musician, lecturer and teacher. She has been teaching music appreciation courses for more than twenty years, through Sydney University's Centre for Continuing Education, WEA Sydney and at other venues. Her training includes a Bachelor of Music with a major in Performance (Piano) and Musicology, a Master of Music Studies (Studio Pedagogy), a Bachelor of Arts (Communications), and an A.Mus.A in Musicianship. Susan teaches piano and music theory to adults and children, and plays piano and organ at various venues around Sydney.